Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 5, 2022

THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS Dad Gone Wild Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it

 Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.


THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS 
Dad Gone Wild 
Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it




A REAL DAMP SQUIB
I have learned that the ambition of those who follow selfish precepts is no more than a chaotic waste, a finite gain that must be followed by infinite loss. For there is indeed a harmony in the universe, a concordant singing of commonweal. To join that song, one must find inner harmony, must find the notes that ring true. There is one other point to be made about that truth: Evil creatures cannot
IN SEARCH OF INFORMED PATRIOTISM
“Love truth, but pardon error.” ― Voltaire Yesterday I was traveling home from Luna Records when I passed the bus station. I did a quick double-take upon spotting my buddy Slotsky standing there with a suitcase in hand. “What the hell”, I think as I do a u-turn. I pull up a few feet from the stop and wave him over. “What are you doing?”, I ask. “Going on a peace corp mission”, he replies. “You’re
PEEKING BEHIND THE CURTAIN
“Acceptance of prevailing standards often means we have no standards of our own.” ― Jean Toomer This weekend I’ve came to the conclusion that I have to get someone to ban this column. I don’t know who, but nothing generates eyeballs like the perception of censorship. I say perception, because like educator Peter Greene points out, Banning books are dumb . This has been true forever. Mark Twain to
BANNING BOOKS IN 2022
“Words. I had always loved them. I collected them like I had collected pretty stones as a child. I liked to roll words over my tongue like a lump of molten honeycomb, savoring the sweetness, the crackle, the crunch.” ― Kate Forsyth Before we go too far down this week’s road, let me put this out there. I am a reader. I have consumed books for over 5 decades, reading everything from histories to ro
BUILDING A RESUME
“And so the house came to be haunted by the unspoken phrase: There must be more money! There must be more money! The children could hear it all the time though nobody said it aloud.” — D.H. Lawrence, “The Rocking-Horse Winner. You know there probably ought to be a law that prevents lawmakers from taking a government job until they’ve been out of office for two years. Over the last several years w

Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.