Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 5, 2022

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

 Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007



Useful Findings From New Paper Applying “Design Principles” To Instruction
geralt / Pixabay I recently learned about a new study on multi-media learning from Pedro de Bruyckere . To tell you the truth, I didn’t really understand what it was about after reading the abstract . The full paper is behind a paywall, but I was able to get a prepublication version of it. The paper is titled “Multimedia Design for Learning: An Overview of Reviews With Meta-Meta-Analysis.” I seem
A Look Back: “We Should Be Obsessed With Racial Equity”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2017: I have often shared links to Education Week posts by Walt Gardner in this blog. His pieces are short, to-the-point, and often, in my opinion, right on target. However, I have to say that I was sho

FEB 03

Book Bans, Restrictions On What Educators Can Teach, & Attacks On Critical Race Theory – What A Mess!
Counselling / Pixabay Though we don’t have much to worry about here in California, educators in much of the United States are facing a very different situation. The first part of this post will share resources I’m adding to RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT ATTACKS ON “CRITICAL RACE THEORY,” THE 1619 PROJECT & ATTEMPTS TO STOP EDUCATORS FROM TEACHING ABOUT SYSTEMIC RACISM . The second part of this pos
The Super Bowl Is Coming Up – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources
ArtTower / Pixabay The Super Bowl is coming up soon…and my heart is broken that the 49ers blew their chance to be in it. Nevertheless, you might be interested in The Best Sites Where ELL’s Can Learn About The Super Bowl (which I’ve just updated and revised). And, even though he just retired, you might also be interested in GUEST POST: WHAT DOES TOM BRADY HAVE IN COMMON WITH A GREAT TEACHER?
A Look Back: “My NY Times Post For ELLs On Teaching About ‘Fake News'”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2017: Ideas for E.L.L.s: Finding Reliable Sources in a World of ‘Fake News’ is the headline of my latest, and fairly lengthy, post at The New York Times Learning Network. As I describe it there: The ide

FEB 02

Thursday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos About School Reopenings
Alexandra_Koch / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: More than half of teachers are looking for the exits, poll says is from NPR. National Guard soldiers now substitute tea
A Look Back: “What ‘Scarcity’ Does To The Mind & Why Social Emotional Learning Isn’t Enough”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2017: I’m a big advocate of Social Emotional Learning (see The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources ), but I’m also concerned about it being “over-sold” and used to short-circuit needed policy
Here Is How I’m TRYING to Create The Conditions Where My ELL Students Can Motivate Themselves (With A Little Encouragement)
geralt / Pixabay As regular readers know, I try – and write about – the many different strategies I use to try and help my students to motivate themselves, along with periodically throwing a does of extrinsic motivation into the mix. A third of my attempts fail miserably, another third work for awhile before they fall flat and – when I’m looking through rose-colored glasses – I think a third of t

FEB 01

A Look Back: Here Are Downloadable Scaffolded Instructions For Students To Create A “3/2/1” Poster
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: I’ve written several previous posts about how I use variations of a 3/2/1 strategy that I first learned about from educator Ekuwah Moses (see The Best Ways To Use “3-2-1” As An Instructional Strat
Would You Like To Have Your Students’ Feelings About This School Year Published?
AbsolutVision / Pixabay I will be doing some columns – either in Education Week or in The Washington Post – about how students are feeling about the school year. If you are interested in possibly having your students write for publication, I have created two sets of instructions – one is more scaffolded for English Language Learners. You can have your students answer the questions and then send a
Langston Hughes Was Born On This Day In 1901 – Here Are Two Good Lessons For ELLs Using His Poetry
American poet Langston Hughes was born on February 1st, 1901. One lesson that I’ve used for years with Intermediate English Language Learners is reading his poem, The Ballad of the Landlord as part of our unit on Problem-Solution essays. After studying the poem, students write a letter to their own landlord (though we obviously don’t send it). Here’s a video reading of that poem: The second lesso

JAN 31

Tuesday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
congerdesign / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Schools in England reinstate mask wearing rules as Covid cases soar is from The Guardian. New Orleans will be the first m
Video: Spanish-Language Version Of TED-Ed’s “The benefits of a bilingual brain”
ElisaRiva / Pixabay “The benefits of a bilingual brain” is a very popular TED-Ed video and lesson that I previously added to The Best Resources For Learning The Advantages To Being Bilingual . I’ve also reposted that English-version at the bottom of this video. TED-Ed recently came out with this Spanish-language version of it: Here’s the English-language version of it again:
A Look Back: The New Study Headlined “Group Work Harms Memory” Doesn’t Mean What You Think It Does
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: Group work can harm memory is the headline of a widely circulated summary of a new study. I believe a good number of the people (though not all) doing the circulating are ones who have in the past

JAN 30

SEL Weekly Update
I’ve recently begun this weekly post where I’ll be sharing resources I’m adding to The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources or other related “Best” lists. You might also be interested in THE BEST SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES OF 2021 – PART ONE. Finally, check out “Best” Lists Of The Week: Social Emotional Learning Resources . Here are this week’s picks: The Many Benefits of Stren
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
BiljaST / Pixabay Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2021. Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners. In additi
A Look Back: Video – “10 Strategies to Help Students Develop Intrinsic Motivation to Write”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: KQED Mindshift hosted a Facebook Live session with me this afternoon on “10 Strategies to Help Students Develop Intrinsic Motivation to Write.” I’ve embedded the forty-minute video below. It seeme

JAN 29

My Latest BAM! Radio Show Is On Alternatives To Standardized Testing
My latest ten-minute BAM! Radio show is on alternatives to standardized testing. I’m joined in the discussion by Holly Spinelli, Tameka Porter and Mary Tedrow, who has also all contributed written commentaries to my Ed Week column on the topic. I’m adding it to All My BAM Radio Shows – Linked With Descriptions .
A Look Back: Important New Study Looks At Assets, Not Deficits, Of Teen “Defiance”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: As regular readers know, looking at our students through the lens of assets and not deficits is very important to me (see Getting Organized Around Assets ; A Lesson Highlighting Community Assets —
Tom Brady May – Or May Not – Be Retiring. Here Is How The Way He Plays Relates To Teaching
Tom Brady may or may not have announced his retirement from pro football today. I thought it might be appropriate to republish a previous post headlined “What Does Tom Brady Have In Common With A Great Teacher?” It was later later republished in The Washington Post . Editor’s Note: I know of no one who is a better thinker about education than Ted Appel, the former principal at our high school. Un
Depressing Statistic Of The Week: Book Bans Hurting Millions Of Students
Efforts to Ban Critical Race Theory Now Restrict Teaching for a Third of America’s Kids is from Education Week, and shares depressing news. I’m adding it to RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT ATTACKS ON “CRITICAL RACE THEORY,” THE 1619 PROJECT & ATTEMPTS TO STOP EDUCATORS FROM TEACHING ABOUT SYSTEMIC RACISM .

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007