Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 29, 2022

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

  Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007



Most Popular Posts Of The Week
I’m making a change in the content of the regular feature. In addition to sharing the top five posts that have received the most “hits” in the preceding seven-to-fourteen days (though they may have originally been published on an earlier date), I will also include the top five posts that have actually appeared in the past week. Often, these are different posts. You might also be interested in IT’
A Look Back: “What ELLs Taught Our School In A Week-Long Empathy Project”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2017: Editor’s Note: My talented colleague Pam Buric led an extraordinarily successful – on a number of levels – project at our school this month. She agreed to write about it in this guest post. I’ve a
January’s “Best” Lists – There Are Now 2,301 Of Them!
Prawny / Pixabay Here’s my regular round-up of new “The Best…” lists I posted this month (you can see all 2,301 of them categorized here – you might also want to check out THREE ACCESSIBLE WAYS TO SEARCH FOR & FIND MY “BEST” LISTS). Here’s the list from this month: THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2021 THE BEST TEACHING & LEARNING RESOURCES ABOUT THE RUSSIA/UKRAIN

JAN 27

Friday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
satheeshsankaran / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: America Is Desperate For Substitute Teachers is from the Atlantic. A Chicago principal on challenges facing schools r
Interesting Perspective On What It Takes To Get Into “Flow”
Adam Grant has a new TED Talk where he talks about the three elements he thinks are necessary to get into a state of “flow.” His perspective makes sense to me as elements that could help you get there, though it seems to me you can achieve “flow” even if you don’t have any of the three and you are just extremely focused and motivated to do something (perhaps that’s what he means by “mindfulness”?
January’s Most Popular Posts
As regular readers know, at the end of each week I share the five most popular posts from the previous seven days. I thought people might find it interesting to see a list of the ten most popular posts from the previous thirty days. You might also be interested in IT’S THE FOURTEENTH ANNIVERSARY OF THIS BLOG – HERE ARE THE FORTY ALL-TIME MOST POPULAR POSTS . Not to mention THE MOST POPULAR POSTS
Ed Tech Digest
Ten years ago, in another somewhat futile attempt to reduce the backlog of resources I want to share, I began this occasional “” post where I share three or four links I think are particularly useful and related to…ed tech, including some Web 2.0 apps. You might also be interested in THE BEST ED TECH RESOURCES OF 2021 – PART ONE , as well as checking out all my edtech resources . Here are this we
A Look Back: Every Teacher Who Has An ELL In Their Class Should Watch This “Immersion” Film
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: The WIDA Consortium tweeted out a short clip to a 12 minute film titled “Immersion,” which was unknown to me. The film also has it’s own website . There are so many good things to say about it and
Just Sent-Out Free Monthly Email Newsletter
geralt / Pixabay I’ve just mailed out the February, 2022 issue of my very simple free monthly email newsletter . It has over 3,000 subscribers, and you can subscribe here . Of course, you can also join the eighteen thousand others who subscribe to this blog daily. Here Are 8 Ways You Can Subscribe For Free…

JAN 26

My Favorite Posts That Appeared In January
I regularly highlight my picks for the most useful posts for each month — not including “The Best…” lists. I also use some of them in a more extensive monthly newsletter I send-out. You can see older Best Posts of the Month at Websites Of The Month (more recent lists can be found here ). You can also see my all-time favorites here . I’ve also been doing “A Look Back” series reviewing old favorite
“Advice From Middle School Students—& Teachers—to Educators”
Advice From Middle School Students—& Teachers—to Educators is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Here are some things middle school teachers can do to help their students: Let them talk, bring on laughter, and celebrate their successes. Here are some excerpts:
Thursday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
mohamed_hassan / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: The Fight for Substitute Teachers is from The NY Times. Written by three people who work all day in places where I woul
A Look Back: “KQED Interviews Me About Saul Alinsky & His Connection To Teaching”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: Two days after Ben Carson suggested that Saul Alinsky was, and Hillary Clinton is, a devil worshiper , the KQED Mindshift blog published an interview with me about how I apply his work in the clas
Classroom Instruction Resources Of The Week
Each week, I publish a post or two containing three or four particularly useful resources on classroom instruction, and you can see them all here. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES ON INSTRUCTION IN 2021 – PART ONE . Here are this week’s picks: I’m adding the PBS NewsHour Classroom to The Best Places To Find Free (And Good) Lesson Plans On The Internet . The Good Project has a nu
The Best Teaching & Learning Resources About The Russia/Ukraine Conflict
Clker-Free-Vector-Images / Pixabay We can only hope that Russia doesn’t invade Ukraine in the coming weeks and months. Here are resources useful for classroom resources on what’s going on: Lesson of the Day: ‘Can the West Stop Russia From Invading Ukraine?’ is from The NY Times Learning Network. The Russia-Ukraine war crisis, explained by an expert is from MSNBC. Four maps that explain the Russia
Jan. 26th Is Australia Day – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources
WikiImages / Pixabay January 26th is Australia Day, which commemorates the first convict ships that brought white immigrants to the continent. I should also note that many Indigenous people in Australia call it “Invasion Day.” You might be interested in The Best Sites To Learn About Australia . There are also many resources there on Australia’s indigenous peoples.

JAN 25

Wednesday’s New Articles & Videos On School Reopenings (& Closures)
Pexels / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: The Bogus Claim That School Closures Will Doom Democrats is from The New Republic. Just what principals need right now pic.twit
This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Ed Policy Issues
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in seeing all my “Best” lists related to education policy here ): The Los Angeles Unified School District has a new superintendent is from NPR. National School Boards Association stumbles into politics and is blasted apart is from The Washington Post. Supreme Court Will Hear Challenge to Affi
New Resources On Race & Racism
I’m adding these new resources to various “Best” lists. You can find links to all of those many lists that relate to race and racism at “Best” Lists Of The Week: Resources For Teaching & Learning About Race & Racism: Retaining and sustaining Black teachers is from MindShift. I’m adding it to New & Revised: The Best Resources For Understanding Why We Need More Teachers Of Color . Public Schools Ar
A Look Back: “Opportunities & Dangers Of Big New Growth Mindset Study”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: paulracko / Pixabay As regular readers know, I’m a big fan of the growth mindset concept (see The Best Resources On Helping Our Students Develop A “Growth Mindset” ) , though not entirely an uncri
“Word Rodeo” Lets You Create Wordle-Like Games That Are Easier For ELLs To Play
Sometimes it feels like the word game Wordle (not the old word cloud generator of the same name) has taken over the world – or at least social media. Word Rodeo is like Wordle, with three major differences: One, the words can have fewer than five letters. And, two, you can create games using your own words. Assuming that the game has enough differences to make it legal (I’m not an attorney, but I

JAN 24

Tuesday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos About School Reopenings
mohamed_hassan / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: As schools debate COVID safety, students stage walkouts to voice demands is from NPR. All California schoolchildren mus
SEL Weekly Update
I’ve recently begun this weekly post where I’ll be sharing resources I’m adding to The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources or other related “Best” lists. You might also be interested in THE BEST SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES OF 2021 – PART ONE. Finally, check out “Best” Lists Of The Week: Social Emotional Learning Resources . Here are this week’s picks: Is Your Deeper Learning In
NBC News Video: “Nikole Hannah-Jones: ‘We Should Be Uncomfortable With The Hard Parts Of Our Past'”
I’ve shared several interviews with Nikole Hannah-Jones, and I’ve shared several tweets by her about this particular interview (see NIKOLE HANNAH-JONES ON THE ROLE OF PARENTS IN DECIDING CURRICULUM ). I recently got around to watching this entire video, and it’s amazing. I certainly plan on having students in my IB Theory of Knowledge class watch it when we study history. I’m adding it to: USEFUL
“Middle School Teachers, Do You Need Advice? Check Out This Wisdom”
Middle School Teachers, Do You Need Advice? Check Out This Wisdom is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Emphasizing relationships with students and teacher self-care, along with showing love are some pieces of advice from veterans. Here are some excerpts:
A Look Back: “Two New Useful Resources On Teaching Writing – And An Old One”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: This week, two new useful resources on teaching writing became available, and I learned about one that had been around before – but I just didn’t know it… The first new piece is an excellent artic

JAN 23

Monday’s New Articles About School Openings & Closings
BestGraphics_Com / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Combining remote and in-person learning led to chaos, study finds is from Hechinger Report. LAUSD to require students
Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 22,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2020 Here
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
BiljaST / Pixabay Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2021. Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners. In additi
A Look Back: “Video: Big Bang Theory Shows (Sort Of) How Close Reading Is Supposed To Work”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: English teacher and author extraordinaire Jim Burke shared this video on Twitter. The clip shows (minus the peer insults) how close reading might work in a perfect world. I’m adding it to The Best

JAN 22

Sunday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos On School Reopenings (& Closings)
geralt / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Virginia parent charged by police after threatening to ‘bring every single gun’ if school board doesn’t make masks optional is
“Want to Have Fun in the Classroom? Try Learning Games”
Want to Have Fun in the Classroom? Try Learning Games is the headline of my latest Education Week column. They’re valuable for a host of reasons, including assessing students’ background knowledge and building a trusting community. Here are some excerpts:
“BookBildr” Lets You Easily Create PDF & Paper Children’s Books – Do You Know Of Other Similar Tools?
I, like many grandparents, made up stories to tell my grandchildren. At the time, I didn’t think of turning them into books for them to read. Now, though, I have younger grandkids again, and decided it would be nice to turn my stories into paper books for them to read (as well as reading them aloud to them). I figured there had to be some super-easy online tools out there that enable people to qu
A Look Back: “The Last Two World Series Champions Emphasized Social Emotional Learning Skills”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: The Cubs built the best team in baseball by scouting for soft skills is a new article from Quartz describing some of the methods the World Series champion Chicago Cubs used to evaluate potential p

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007