Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 28, 2021

Is Teaching a Profession, an Occupation, a Calling, or a Job? | The Merrow Report

Is Teaching a Profession, an Occupation, a Calling, or a Job? | The Merrow Report
Is Teaching a Profession, an Occupation, a Calling, or a Job?


(Because this 2015 essay continues to attract readers from around the world, I am reprinting it, edited to include contributions from thoughtful readers.)

“So, are they quitting because they’re fed up with their heavy-handed union bosses?” The hostility of the question took me by surprise. I was explaining to my dinner companion, a veteran lawyer, that 40% of teachers leave the field within five years, and right away he jumped to his anti-union conclusion disguised as a question.

No, I explained. Unions don’t seem to have anything to do with it; it’s most often related to working conditions: class size, discipline policies, and how much control and influence they have over their daily activities.

“It’s not money?” he asked, aggressively suspicious. Not according to surveys, I explained.

I described what I’d seen of a teacher’s daily work life. He interrupted, “How can it be a profession if you can’t take a leak when you need to?

While that’s not a criterion that social scientists use to define a profession, my cut-to-the-chase acquaintance might be onto something.

Can teaching be a true profession if you can’t take a bathroom break when nature CONTINUE READING: Is Teaching a Profession, an Occupation, a Calling, or a Job? | The Merrow Report