Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

CAN I GET A LITTLE SUPPORT FOR THAT SUPPOSITION? – Dad Gone Wild

CAN I GET A LITTLE SUPPORT FOR THAT SUPPOSITION? – Dad Gone Wild
CAN I GET A LITTLE SUPPORT FOR THAT SUPPOSITION?



“We’re all islands shouting lies to each other across seas of misunderstanding.”
― Rudyard Kipling, The Light That Failed

 

So riddle me this? I can shop at Publix without a mask, but I can’t get more than 4 tickets per student to a high school graduation ceremony, why? A graduation is a once-in-a-lifetime event and it appears we are erring on the side of caution. We are talking about robbing students and families of an event that was over a decade in the making without good cause.

Administrators talk about the need to make meaningful relationships and the importance of SEL. We want communities to celebrate and buy into the value of education. Yet here we are, a time for celebration and the reinforcing of bonds between communities and schools, and we are punting. For what? What is the possible upside of depriving students of the opportunity to share one of the most memorable moments of their life with their extended families?

At a time when people are re-emerging from their COVID cocoons, I would argue that it is more important than ever to reaffirm the touchstones of our lives. Graduation, marriage, the birth of children, are milestones that mark our journey through life. Yet, MNPS feels CONTINUE READING: CAN I GET A LITTLE SUPPORT FOR THAT SUPPOSITION? – Dad Gone Wild