Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 13, 2021

THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS Dad Gone Wild Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it

 Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.


THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS 
Dad Gone Wild 
Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it



CONSTRUCTING UNICORN BARNS
“These stories aren’t told for the same reason you can’t go to the circus and see yetis riding on unicorns while playing bagpipes built out of skittles.” – Peter Greene, CURMUDGUCATION I have two kids enrolled in MNPS. One is in 5th, the other in 6th grade. Both are remaining virtual for the duration of this school year. My thinking is, back in August I enrolled them into one experiment, why woul
TO LAUGH, OR TO CRY
“The flute of the Pied Piper of Hamelin has never left us and it is essential that we train our ear to detect its false notes because in our case the flute is being played by the rats.” ― Dimitris Mita Yesterday, was one of those days that seem to be occurring with more frequency. I spent the day researching numerous education initiatives, both on the state and the district level. It was research
ARGUING OVER MARKETING TERMS
“If I were going to tell one of my sons how to possess the world, I would simply bring him into my house, show him that solid wall of books, and say to him: ‘the secret is in there somewhere, and even if you never find out what it is, you will still have come closer.” ― James Dickey Some of you may notice the Spotify header. From here on out, you can listen to Dad Gone Wild as a podcast or read i
PLEASE APPLY MORE CARE
“Oh, come off your perch!” said the other man, who wore glasses. “Your premises won’t come out in the wash. You wind-jammers who apply bandy-legged theories to concrete categorical syllogisms send logical conclusions skallybootin’ into the infinitesimal ragbag. You can’t pull my leg with an old sophism with whiskers on it.” ― O. Henry, The Complete Works of O. Henry My relationship with my childr
HOW ABOUT A LITTLE CLARITY?
“Hey, if it’s up to you about TNReady, vote “no”, because this year there are no snacks, longer recesses, or parades. Those are the only reasons I was in before. None of those happening, and I’m out” – Peter Weber, 10, student commenting on debate over TCAP Remember those halcyon days of yore, when we were extending grace to each other, reminding ourselves daily that this was all new, we were in
SHOW ME THE MONEY
“If I had a message to my contemporaries it is surely this: Be anything you like, be madmen, drunks, and bastards of every shape and form, but at all costs avoid one thing: success . . . If you are too obsessed with success, you will forget to live. If you have learned only how to be a success, your life has

Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.