Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 19, 2021

Teacher Tom: In the End the Goal is Not Literacy, It's Understanding

Teacher Tom: In the End the Goal is Not Literacy, It's Understanding
In the End the Goal is Not Literacy, It's Understanding



I write every day, publishing here and in other forums like Medium, Edutopia, and other places, not to mention my two books. Yesterday, I wrote a post that might be considered a bit dismissive of writing, but please don't let that make you think that I don't value the written word. I'm a product of it, as are you, but it has its limitations, severe ones, in that one can never really say what one wants to say, only come as close as possible.

Like everyone who writes, which is most of us at one time or another, I sometimes write to convey information, persuade, entertain, or preserve something, but the primary reason I strive to put things into words is so that I can know what I think. This, of course, is the opposite of how we "teach" children to write. They are taught to start with a thesis, build their case, then end with a pre-determined conclusion. In other words, they are to think before they write, which, as the old woman quoted by E.M. Forester in his book Aspects of the Novel, "Good gracious! What rubbish! How can I tell what I think till I see what I say?"

For me, the process of writing is, in many ways, my process of thinking and that is what usually happens here on this blog. Sure, I try to go back and tidy things up a bit to make it presentable before hitting the "Publish" button, and I can't CONTINUE READING: Teacher Tom: In the End the Goal is Not Literacy, It's Understanding