Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Teacher Tom: Sucking the Joy From Their Lives

Teacher Tom: Sucking the Joy From Their Lives
Sucking the Joy From Their Lives




I was sitting on a bench near a playground merry-go-round watching our three and four-year-olds play. A pair of boys decided they wanted a spin. They mounted the apparatus, then one of them turned to me, "Teacher Tom, you push us."

I answered, "Sorry, I'm busy sitting here. You'll have to find someone else."


As the first boy tried pleading with me, the second said, "I'll get my brother to push us. He likes doing the things I like," and jogged off in the direction of where their classmates where playing. He called out to them, "Who will push us?" They ignored him so he returned to the merry-go-round. As he mounted it, he gave it a little push with his foot and the two boys began turning slowly.

As the momentum began to die, a couple of girls found their way to the merry-go-round. Without being asked, they CONTINUE WORKING: 
Teacher Tom: Sucking the Joy From Their Lives