Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, December 10, 2020

A VERY BUSY DAY Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


The Smithsonian’s “24 Hours In A Time Of Change” Seems Like A Great Opportunity For Student Writing & Reflection
The Smithsonian has announced “24 Hours In A Time Of Change ” as a way to collect people’s stories about their 2020 experiences. Here are the specific “prompts “: The 24 Hours website offers prompts to help everyone take part. The Smithsonian Anacostia Community Museum , whose project Moments of Resilience helped inspire Friday’s story collection, asks, How are communities supporting each other o
Video: Cartoon Network Creates Good Anti-Racist Clip
Alexandra_Koch / Pixabay Check out this new video from – of all places – The Cartoon Network. I’m adding it to The Best Sites To Teach About African-American History .
Students Creating New Year’s Resolutions Can Be Great Lessons & Here Are A Ton Of Ideas
geralt / Pixabay Having students create New Year’s resolutions have always been great lessons for my classes – either just before Winter Break or right after we return. You can find a ton of related resources, including lesson plans, at The Best Ways To Help Make Your New Year’s Resolutions Succeed .
This Is The Text I’ve Been Sending To Students With Spotty Class Attendance
As part of my pre-holiday “push” to “stop the bleeding” in my classes (see HERE’S HOW I’M COMMUNICATING WITH STUDENTS ABOUT SHAKING UP OUR CLASSES and I’m Worried About My Students – Very Worried. And Here Is What I’m Planning To Do About It ), I’ve been sending the above text – or a variation of it – to students with spotty attendance. I’ve received very positive responses from most of those stu
Thursday’s Must-Read Articles About School Reopenings
MIH83 / Pixabay Here are new additions to THE BEST POSTS PREDICTING WHAT SCHOOLS WILL LOOK LIKE IN THE FALL : Are Teachers Unions Really to Blame? is from Slate. The Chicago Teachers Union Plays Hardball is from The NY Times. School districts slow to follow New York City’s lead on reopening schools is from Politico.
A Look Back: We Shouldn’t “Empower” Students – Instead We Should Create The Conditions Where They Can Take It
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . OpenClipart-Vectors / Pixabay I saw this tweet about a workshop being led by Tricia Ebarvia and Christie Nold: Wow. An important wake up call and reframing of how we talk and think about student voice. #HSEquity #istelib https://t.co/9
Here’s How I’m Communicating With Students About Shaking Up Our Classes
Last weekend, I shared a number of worries I had about our students and what I planned to do about them (see I’m Worried About My Students – Very Worried. And Here Is What I’m Planning To Do About It ). Over the past two days, I’ve met with leadership teams in each of my classes and we’ve had great discussions. The comment in the text box was made by one of the leadership team members. In those m
Video & A Whole Lot More: Google Releases “The Year In Search”
Google has released their always engaging Year in Search 2020 , including a cool video (embedded below). I’m adding it to BEST YEAR-IN-REVIEW FEATURES FOR 2020.
Wash. Post Publishes My Annual Education News Roundup
geralt / Pixabay The positively worst and best education news of 2020 — as viewed by a teacher is the Washington Post headline featuring my annual list of education news. That column also has links to my previous eight compilations. I’m ad