Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 22, 2020

A VERY BUSY DAY Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

A VERY BUSY DAY
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day...
The latest news and resources in education since 2007


Big Education Ape: THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007 - http://bigeducationape.blogspot.com/2020/11/this-week-in-education-larry-ferlazzos_21.html



Excellent Guide To Having Conversations Includes A Lot Of Wisdom For Teachers
NY Times columnist David Brooks can often be almost unintelligible when he writes about education issues but, sometimes, he writes eloquently about other topics. Today’s column, Nine Nonobvious Ways to Have Deeper Conversations , offers a lot of helpful advice. Not only can teachers find it useful when talking with students, but I think it lends itself to bite-size classroom lessons, too. I’m add
SEL Weekly Update
I’ve recently begun this weekly post where I’ll be sharing resources I’m adding to The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources or other related “Best” lists. You might also be interested in THE BEST SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES OF 2020 – PART ONE. Finally, check out “Best” Lists Of The Week: Social Emotional Learning Resources . Here are this week’s picks: How Can Teachers Nurture M
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
BiljaST / Pixabay Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2019 – PART ONE and THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2019 – PART TWO. A
A Look Back: Study Finds That “Student-Centered” Activities Better Than “Teacher-Centered” Ones – Except When It Comes To Pacing
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . I’m starting with posts from earlier this year. sasint / Pixabay Countless studies have found that “student-centered” instruction can be much more effective than ones that are commonly considered “teacher-centered” (see The Best Resear
Book Excerpt: “Reading & Writing With English Learners”
Editor’s Note: Valentina Gonzalez and Melinda Miller have written a terrific book, and they’ve agreed to let me publish an excerpt here. I’ll also be sharing an interview with them in my Education Week column after the first of the year. “There’s so much more to a book than just reading.” Maurice Sendak WHAT IS SHARED READING? Shared reading is a method of involving the whole class in reading a t
Six Actions I Take To Make Small Groups Work In My Virtual Classes
geralt / Pixabay I’ve been publishing a series of posts sharing what’s been working – and what has not been working – in my virtual classes this year: Six Ways That Newcomers Can Interact With Online Text . Four Ways To Support ELLs Who Were Absent From Class First Quarter Report on What I’m Doing in Full-Time Distance Learning & How It’s Going Thirteen Instructional Strategies & Web Tools To Sup
Saturday’s Must-Read Articles & Must-Watch Videos About School Reopenings
geralt / Pixabay Here are new additions to THE BEST POSTS PREDICTING WHAT SCHOOLS WILL LOOK LIKE IN THE FALL : When New York City Schools Reopen, About 700,000 Students Won’t Be There is from The NY Times. Welfare checks and hotspots: how a school district is fighting to keep kids in class amid Covid is from The Guardian. https://t.co/qnJDpttbDT — Erica L. Green (@EricaLG) November 20, 2020 First
Ed Tech Digest
Nine years ago, in another somewhat futile attempt to reduce the backlog of resources I want to share, I began this occasional “” post where I share three or four links I think are particularly useful and related to…ed tech, including