Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Effective Remote Teaching Part 1: Tools of the trade | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

Effective Remote Teaching Part 1: Tools of the trade | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

Effective Remote Teaching Part 1: Tools of the trade




Like many teachers around the country, I am currently teaching my students in a room by myself. Remote teaching is very taxing. It takes me about five to ten times as long as it used to to prepare my lessons each day. At the end of the day my head is spinning from all the screen time and the lack of walking around. And the feedback that I’m used to getting, the energy I get back from seeing the students learn in person is replaced by students looking into a zoom looking equally struggling.
But if I’m going to do something in teaching, I want to do it as best as I’m able so I’ve taken the task very seriously and I’m hoping that I can share some of the methods I’ve come up with to be as effective a remote teacher as I can.
In this first post, I want to show you my setup. Every component of this setup is absolutely critical to me being able to do all the things I need to: teach, give feedback, get student input, and assess. I know that some teachers will not have access to all this technology and they will say they can’t afford to buy all this stuff. But hopefully many will be able to CONTINUE READING: Effective Remote Teaching Part 1: Tools of the trade | Gary Rubinstein's Blog