Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Silver Lining: My Students Are Okay with Wearing Masks. | deutsch29

Silver Lining: My Students Are Okay with Wearing Masks. | deutsch29

Silver Lining: My Students Are Okay with Wearing Masks.



This past week was my first with students since the pandemic hit.

So much is in flux, including whether my district will continue with the hybrid model for middle and high school given that Louisiana governor, John Bel Edwards, announced Louisiana’s shift into Phase 3 (“with restrictions”) just as we are getting accustomed to the Phase 2 hybrid schedule.

Meanwhile, southern Louisiana is under yet another hurricane watch.
As of this writing, I do not know if I will be at school on Monday because of the approaching storm. Also, I do not know if next Monday, I will have a classroom full of students (with social distancing not possible) as opposed to the hybrid arrangement in which I am able to place student desks six feet apart. But here is what I do know:
The students at my school are overwhelmingly compliant with the mandate to wear masks.
I cannot tell you how relieved I am about their willingness to comply with the mask requirement, which the governor is keeping in place during Phase 3.
The governor’s order also includes adhering to social distancing guidelines, which is not possible if I must have 24 students in the room at one time and all 1,600 students on our school campus each day. Our state superintendent, Cade Brumley, assumes “more students” will “return to campus” as we “transition” to CONTINUE READING: Silver Lining: My Students Are Okay with Wearing Masks. | deutsch29