Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Doug Harris’ Book, Charter School City ((Shaking My Head)) | deutsch29

Doug Harris’ Book, Charter School City ((Shaking My Head)) | deutsch29

Doug Harris’ Book, Charter School City ((Shaking My Head))



Education Research Alliance of New Orleans (ERA) founder Doug Harris has published a book about the primarily-post-Katrina charterization of New Orleans public schools, Charter School City (University of Chicago Press, July 2020).
Harris’ book is endorsed by Former US ed sec Arne Duncan:
“The schools in New Orleans have gotten better faster than perhaps any other district in the country. To see this progress, in the wake of the trauma and devastation from Hurricane Katrina, is just awe-inspiring. In this ground-breaking book, Harris provides a full and careful picture of how the community did it and what others can learn from it. New Orleans shows us what’s possible, and it gives all of us reason for hope.”
— Arne Duncan, managing partner, Emerson Collective and former US Secretary of Education
This is the same Arne Duncan who callously tossed off in January 2010, “I think the best thing that happened to the education system in New Orleans was Hurricane Katrina.” (Days later, Duncan apologized for the comment.)
I wonder how much of Harris’ book Duncan had actually read.
In January 2020, I read it all. Cover to cover.
I did so at the request of Commonweal Magazine, a New York-based publication seeking a review of Harris’ book. I submitted my review in February 2020, just weeks before the pandemic shut down the country and delayed many plans, including publication of my review.
I have confirmed that Commonweal Magazine still plans to publish my review of CONTINUE READING: Doug Harris’ Book, Charter School City ((Shaking My Head)) | deutsch29