Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Teacher Tom: Any Solution that Doesn't Include Our Collective Voice Will be Dangerous and Flawed

Teacher Tom: Any Solution that Doesn't Include Our Collective Voice Will be Dangerous and Flawed

Any Solution that Doesn't Include Our Collective Voice Will be Dangerous and Flawed


A week ago, I wrote a post called Birds of a Feather Will Flock Together, in which I asserted the plain facts that if we are going to start sending preschool aged children back to their schools and child cares we cannot count on social distancing as a way to limit the risk of spreading the coronavirus. It will be impossible to enforce without draconian measures that will likely damage children (not to mention teachers) socially and emotionally. I did not take a stand on whether or not we should open our schools right now. I was simply saying that if we do decide we need to open our schools now, we won't be able to count on social distancing as a tool.

I was presenting a truth about preschoolers. I didn't take a public policy stand and most readers got that, but there were still many who let me know that they were "disappointed" with me or that I was "dangerous," some accusing me of advocating for opening the schools right away (which I did not) and others accusing me of being a Nervous Nelly (which I am not). I have more to say on the topic today, so lest I be misunderstood, I'm going to be perfectly clear about my position: I don't know. My instinct is to stick with the plan to keep kids home until the fall, with the caveat that I get to change my mind if circumstances change.

That said, preschools in some places in the US, due to economic pressures, are re-opening whether I like it or not. In the spirit of a mental experiment then, here are some of my thoughts on what schools could do to at least mitigate some of the risk.

I feel about masks much the way I feel about social distancing: they won't do a lot of good with the preschooler set. I'm inclined to defer to medical professionals, although CONTINUE READING: 
Teacher Tom: Any Solution that Doesn't Include Our Collective Voice Will be Dangerous and Flawed