Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Social Media and the Marketplace of Ideas – radical eyes for equity

Social Media and the Marketplace of Ideas – radical eyes for equity

Social Media and the Marketplace of Ideas


When I was first married, we lived in the room of my parents’ house that had been converted from a garage. My sister and her husband also lived with my parents, them in her old bedroom inside the main house.
One night, we were awakened by my sister pulling the screened door to the room free of the flimsy latch, yelling that my father needed help.
That was a terrible and important night for me as a young man. My mother had found my father collapsed in the bathroom, blood everywhere. He had been hiding a bleeding ulcer from everyone, waking that night in pain and passing out while vomiting blood.
My mother was running around frantically as my sister tried to calm her. While they called the ambulance, I cleaned up my father as best I could and helped rouse him.
They sent me with my father in the ambulance; the first hour or so at the hospital was terrifying as I watched the doctors try to stabilize my father.
He survived this, but in my early 20s I had to face a fact that I had been CONTINUE READING: Social Media and the Marketplace of Ideas – radical eyes for equity