Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 3, 2020

NYC Educator: Better Than Nothing

NYC Educator: Better Than Nothing

Better Than Nothing



 I've never done online instruction before. I've been trying different things almost every day, kind of throwing darts to see what sticks.

The lesson I spent the most time on was a song called Morning Has Broken. I really love that song. My goal was to get students to love it too. The first time I taught it, it fell flat. The vocabulary was a little rugged for my newcomers.

But I got a chance to do it again. The second time, I reviewed the vocabulary a second time and spent more time on it. It wasn't the best lesson I'd ever delivered, but my students were a little more engaged. Maybe I leaned on the more eager participants a little too much, in an effort to not bomb twice in a row.

 This week I'm moving back toward things I'd use in my physical classroom, and by next week I'll be giving more at-home assignments. I'll try not to give them more than 15 minutes worth per class. I hear they are overworked.

When I'm in a classroom, I'm always looking around to see who's listening and who's lost in space. If a students head goes down, my voice might get remarkably loud as I'm CONTINUE READING: 
NYC Educator: Better Than Nothing