Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

John Thompson: 'My opponent is my opponent, not my enemy'

'My opponent is my opponent, not my enemy'

‘My opponent is my opponent, not my enemy’



Americans are bracing for a fight — against ourselves.


Regardless of how the upcoming #Election2020 political battles are fought, our democracy is in danger. American democracy needs conversations about how we can reunite and rebuild. As is so often true, we should embrace the wisdom, eloquence, and grace in Bruce Springsteen’s lyrics and characters.
Springsteen’s Western Stars album was released in 2019 along with a film of his performances. It isn’t partisan. The name of President Donald Trump is never used. Instead, the album is about more than the Trump era and its anxiety. Springsteen portrays the fears of our post-frontier nation. He puts a face on individuals from the environments where Trumpism flourishes. Springsteen makes us come to grips with the humanity of people struggling with modern culture.

‘Hello sunshine, won’t you stay?’

As today’s conflict escalates, Western Stars pulls us into the souls of even our most combative neighbors, while exploring other, long-standing American themes. Without mentioning politics, Springsteen implicitly reteaches the principle: My opponent is my opponent, not my enemy.
Hello Sunshine is likely influenced by Springsteen’s own battle with depression. He sings:
I had a little sweet spot for the rainFor the rain and skies of greyHello sunshine, won’t you stay?
Springsteen recalls the mixed legacy of  CONTINUE READING: