Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Mitchell Robinson: The Kids Are Alright… | Eclectablog

The Kids Are Alright… | Eclectablog

The Kids Are Alright…

Way back in September–which feels like 10 years when measured in teacher years–I shared my disappointment with my sophomore foundations class that so many of them no longer understood references to the classic teen coming of age movies of the 1980s, like “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” and “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.”
Snippets from these films, like the ones below…





…have been staples in my classroom “schtick” over the years, and it was sad to see the new generation of students lose their connection to what I once was convinced were cultural “touchstones” guaranteed to unite the generations. Telling them that I’d consider it the highlight of my teaching career to have a pizza delivered to one of my classes, we moved on to the day’s activities.
What wasn’t disappointing was the brilliance, compassion, and commitment of this group of 16 second-year music education students. As we wrapped up the semester today I found myself CONTINUE READING: The Kids Are Alright… | Eclectablog