Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Jim Hood: Don’t Give Up on Mississippi | Diane Ravitch's blog

Jim Hood: Don’t Give Up on Mississippi | Diane Ravitch's blog

Jim Hood: Don’t Give Up on Mississippi

Jim Hood lost the race for governor in Mississippi but he gave it all he has.
He gives hope that Mississippi might one day not be a taken-for-granted good-ole-white-boy state.
He gives hope that people will one day vote for their own best interest, for the common good, not just thoughtlessly vote for those who don’t care about them or anyone else.
This is the letter he sent to supporters (I made a small contribution):
Diane,
From the bottom of my heart, thank you. To the people of Mississippi who voted for me, the thousands of volunteers and contributors who supported and worked so hard for this campaign, my campaign staff, and most of all, my wife Debbie and our three children.
The last year on the campaign trail has meant the world to our family — traveling across Mississippi talking to working folks about the issues that matter most and building a campaign that reflects the rich diversity of our state. I am so grateful.
While last night’s outcome was not what we wanted, our effort to build a better Mississippi will continue. Together, we built a campaign to put the interests of Mississippi families first. The effort to expand pre-K, raise teacher pay, keep rural hospitals open, make healthcare more affordable, fix our roads and bridges, and provide tax relief to working families does not end with this campaign.
As your attorney general for 16 years, it has been my privilege and honor to serve the people of Mississippi. During my entire time as a public servant, I have been guided by the teachings of the Bible to help the least among us. I’m proud to have built a campaign for governor on those values, and I thank you for believing in our vision for Mississippi.
Sometimes progress does not happen as quickly as we like, but if history teaches us anything, change can happen if we keep at it and don’t give up. Please keep voting, keep caring, keep fighting for what you believe in, and keep fighting for a better Mississippi. I know I will.
Sincerely,
Jim