Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 25, 2019

In praise of Michael Bloomberg | JD2718

In praise of Michael Bloomberg | JD2718

In praise of Michael Bloomberg


Nah, I’m not nuts. I’m not voting for the guy. Neither should you. I don’t support him. Never have, never will.
The worst thing about him? So many choices. But I focus on education. His legacy in education is disorganisation and destruction, and we are still suffering the consequences.
So, actually, this praise is very short. There’s just two things I will mention.
In 2012, while mayor, Bloomberg came to my high school’s graduation, and delivered an address.
Before I go further, you might be wondering, did I just sit back when Bloomberg invited himself to our graduation? Some days before graduation a Unity stalwart discussed the matter with me, and afraid I might disrupt the ceremony said “But Jonathan, you have to be reasonable” “No,” I replied “no I do not.” And that’s important. But I did not disrupt the ceremony, as good as that might have made me feel, because it would not have made the kids feel very good, and because it would have been an individualistic act. Teachers in my chapter proposed and produced UFT colored lapel stickers saying “Respect Teachers” which most of us wore (I know the two who did not), and which were clearly anti-Bloomberg, and which students and parents remarked on after the ceremony.
Back to Bloomberg’s address. Our valedictorian in 2012 was headed to Johns Hopkins. Bloomberg is an alumnus. He said something nice about our student, and about the institution, and then remarked “I won’t say how I did at Johns Hopkins, beyond mentioning that the top half of the class would not exist without students like me.”
Praise point #1 – Michael Bloomberg told a self-deprecating joke that was genuinely funny.
While mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg presided over a disgusting police program of CONTINUE READING: In praise of Michael Bloomberg | JD2718