Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 25, 2019

I stuttered. I stutter. – Fred Klonsky

I stuttered. I stutter. – Fred Klonsky

I STUTTERED. I STUTTER.

An article in The Atlantic about Joe Biden’s stutter provoked some interesting conversations this past weekend.
Needless to say, I am no supporter of Joe Biden. The fact that he has a stutter doesn’t change that at all.
But Atlantic’s senior editor, who has a stutter himself, has written an article that is about way more than Biden.
It is about how we treat differences.
And it is about me, since I had a severe stutter as a child and I still stutter when I am tired or stressed.
I posted about it on my Facebook page.
Stuttering is serious business. I have a stutter. As a child I could barely put two sentences together. Public speaking terrified me. Words that started with a hard C or K were killers for me. It was humiliating and embarrassing for me as a child. Even answering a teacher’s question in class was traumatic. I have it still and it shows up when I am tired or stressed. Most can’t hear it, but I know.
It no longer is humiliating or embarrassing.
Nobody should make fun of Joe Biden for his stutter. It has CONTINUE READING: I stuttered. I stutter. – Fred Klonsky