Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 14, 2019

Hall Pass | radical eyes for equity

Hall Pass | radical eyes for equity

Hall Pass


I noticed I had been tagged by a former high school student on Facebook a few days ago. “While looking for pictures of my Daddy in some old memory and picture boxes that I forgot existed,” she began, “I came across this WHS [Woodruff High School] artifact that became the deciding factor on whether or not I was punished with demerits for a week out of every month.”*
She posted these pictures of the artifacts, hall passes from my class:
No photo description available.
Image may contain: drink and indoor
The high school where I taught English for 18 years was the same high school I had attended. By the time I was reaching the end of my time there, the school had morphed into an extremely authoritarian environment—demerits issued to students for being late to class, simply going to the restroom during class (for any reason), eating in class or chewing gum, and the usual assortment of what most people would deem disciplinary issues such as fighting or causing a disturbance during class (“holding court” and talking back being the major offenses).
These strict rules meant some students found themselves issued in-school suspension (ISS) for nothing more than very minor infractions, such as CONTINUE READING: Hall Pass | radical eyes for equity