Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Climate Strike: SPS Says No Excused Absences if Students Walk Out #ClimateStrike

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Climate Strike: SPS Says No Excused Absences if Students Walk Out

Climate Strike: SPS Says No Excused Absences if Students Walk Out

Today on KUOW's The Record, Superintendent Juneau was asked about SPS students who might want to join the Friday walkout for climate change.  She was totally supportive of young activists and noted many in Seattle Schools.

But then she mentioned the law and teaching and learning and science classes and well, it's a no to being excused to go to the rally.

The only way a student can go with an excused absence is if a parent/guardian comes and takes the student. No note will do.

I put this up on Twitter and many people were not happy with her stance.


Do it anyway.

Yeah, I’ll go get the kid.

Not with Amplify they won’t.

Wow! Well, the only time I got in trouble in school was when I staged a walk-out against the war in Iraq. I got quoted in the local paper and got called into the principal’s office on Monday AM. Got detention and when I got home, my hippie uncle gave me a hi 5! So Hi 5 students! 
Oh hi@SeaPubSchools, did you see@GovInslee’s release? He seems pretty enthusiastic about kids participating.
I note that Governor Inslee is all in as are NYC schools.

Gov. Inslee's statement reads as follows: CONTINUE READING: 
Seattle Schools Community Forum: Climate Strike: SPS Says No Excused Absences if Students Walk Out

Image result for climate strike MEME