Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 31, 2019

From Policy To Practice: Reforming American Schools and Classroom Lessons | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

From Policy To Practice: Reforming American Schools and Classroom Lessons | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

From Policy To Practice: Reforming American Schools and Classroom Lessons




I have just sent in my manuscript to the publisher entitled “Chasing Success and Confronting Failure in American Schools.” Every book I have written in the past decade since I started this blog, I have posted the argument, drafts of chapters, and vignettes of schools and teacher lessons.
Now I am considering my next project. I would like to draw together certain themes that I have lived, taught about, and researched since I began teaching over a half-century ago. The title of this post captures those themes. For this post, I am offering the condensed argument I have thought of making in my next book. I attach no endnotes or citation of sources at this point. Just the distilled argument.
I am concerned that the logic of the argument is clear, crisply stated, and coherent. So I ask readers of this post to look for holes, errors, and missing parts that should be included. I would appreciate reader comments.
What teachers teach and students learn in American classrooms are (and have been) shaped (but not determined) by political and organizational forces:
First, there is the decentralized system of governance and funding of schools over the past two centuries.
Second, the age-graded school with its “grammar of schooling” has been the reliable vehicle for moving state and local policies into classroom lessons.
Third, the constant flow of social, political, and economic problems in the larger CONTINUE READING: From Policy To Practice: Reforming American Schools and Classroom Lessons | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice