Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 1, 2019

My All-Time Favorite Movie (and a Few Current Favorites) | Diane Ravitch's blog

My All-Time Favorite Movie (and a Few Current Favorites) | Diane Ravitch's blog

My All-Time Favorite Movie (and a Few Current Favorites)

My all-time favorite movie is “Singin’ in the Rain.” I have lost track of how many times I have seen it. Every time I see it, I enjoy it all over again. Gene Kelly and Donald O’Connor are a great singing and dancing team. Nineteen-year-old Debbie Reynolds is beautiful, adorable, fresh, a wonderful ingenue. The music is delightful.
TCM has an excellent history of the movie, which is about Hollywood’s transition from silent films to talkies.
The plot hinges on Debbie Reynolds helping to save Gene Kelly’s first talkie by dubbing the voice of his co-star, who has a screechy voice.
Here is the great secret of the film, which I discovered only last year, while googling to learn more about the movie.
Debbie Reynolds’s voice was dubbed when she was supposed to be dubbing the voice of Lena Lamont!
From TCM:
“Ironically, Debbie Reynolds’ voice was dubbed by Betty Royce for the scenes where Reynolds’ character dubs CONTINUE READING: My All-Time Favorite Movie (and a Few Current Favorites) | Diane Ravitch's blog