Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 10, 2019

Attempting 78 Miles on a Bike to Celebrate My Birthday | The Merrow Report

Attempting 78 Miles on a Bike to Celebrate My Birthday | The Merrow Report

Attempting 78 Miles on a Bike to Celebrate My Birthday
Well, last Friday was so beautiful that, even though it wasn’t literally my birth anniversary, I decided to go for it.  My daughter Elise and I hit the trail at precisely 7AM. While we were the only humans around, we certainly were not alone.
The snapping turtle, one of two, was intent on laying her eggs, and the goslings were protected by at least a half dozen aggressively vigilant Canada Geese.  The adult deer could have been the yearling I encountered on the path a year ago.  During the day we probably saw three or four times as many chipmunks as people!
The first half went well, and we stopped for lunch (energizing smoothies) at the 44-mile mark in Yorktown, New York.
My daughter kept an eye on me, making certain that I was hydrating properly. What’s more, Elise was riding a folding bike!  This is the cycling equivalent of the CONTINUE READING: Attempting 78 Miles on a Bike to Celebrate My Birthday | The Merrow Report