Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 27, 2019

Jane, the Chicago Women’s Liberation Union and Illinois’ Reproductive Health Act. – Fred Klonsky

Jane, the Chicago Women’s Liberation Union and Illinois’ Reproductive Health Act. – Fred Klonsky

JANE, THE CHICAGO WOMEN’S LIBERATION UNION AND ILLINOIS’ REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH ACT.



I remember Marilyn Webb from my SDS days.
She was one of the earliest voices I heard talking about women’s rights as a part of the sixties movements for change.
Of course, my Mom was a feminist and Grandma Esther was a feminist. But in the movement I was a part of in 1966, this was new stuff.
As was something called the Women’s Liberation Movement.
In yesterday’s NY Times, Nicholas Kristoff wrote a column that included Marilyn Webb’s story of being forced out of the University of Chicago for being a woman.
The U of C has finally, after five decades, agreed to give Marilyn Webb her doctorate.
I Googled Marilyn and came across a web site for a 2014 documentary called She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry.
Guess what we watched last night.
You can find it on Youtube and Amazon Prime. You should see it.