Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 22, 2019

Minus 5: How a Culture of Grades Degrades Learning | radical eyes for equity

Minus 5: How a Culture of Grades Degrades Learning | radical eyes for equity

Minus 5: How a Culture of Grades Degrades Learning


About midway through my first 18 years in education as a high school English teacher, I had mostly de-graded and de-tested my courses except, of course, for having to comply with mandates such as midterm/final exams and course grades.
At some point, my students and I began to openly parody grade culture in a sort of wink-wink-nod-nod way that included my saying “Minus 5!” any time a student offered an incorrect answer during a class discussion.
We all smiled and laughed.
As I approach the same amount of time in the second wave of my career as an educator, now a university professor at a selective college, I continue to use that skit, adding at times a “Plus 10!” with exuberance when someone offers something really thoughtful.
My college students are hyper-students, having been very successful in school for many years while receiving as well as expecting high grades because of the student-skills they have developed.
Despite my careful and detailed explanations upfront that I do not grade and do not give tests, these college students struggle, some times mightily, in a de-graded classroom. Once, for example, a student emailed me about how to make up the “minus 5” I had taken away in the class discussion.
This semester in my educational foundations course and an upper-level writing/research course, many of the greatest flaws with grading culture have sprung up once again.
Even as we approach the end of the semester, I have had several students email me asking for extensions on submitting their major essay. I have to carefully reply that the concept of an extension isn’t relevant in a course that doesn’t grade and is grounded in the requirement that all assignments must be completed fully (and ideally on time) and resubmitted in a final portfolio.
In all of my courses, essays must also be submitted in multiple drafts or I cap the final course grade.
I explain repeatedly to my students that we are here to learn and that if I focus on artifacts of their learning while requiring that all work be CONTINUE READING:Minus 5: How a Culture of Grades Degrades Learning | radical eyes for equity