Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Tiny, Decent Things – Live Long and Prosper

Tiny, Decent Things – Live Long and Prosper:

Tiny, Decent Things


PART I: THE WAR AGAINST PUBLIC EDUCATION
I began my whine against the overuse and misuse of standardized testing when No Child Left Behind passed in 2001 and Indiana doubled down on student testing.
I complained to my principal, the school corporation, my local legislators. I became an officer in my local teachers association, and a delegate to the state teachers association representative assembly, but we couldn’t change things either.
I retired in June of 2010 and two years later joined a public education advocacy group, the Northeast Indiana Friends of Public Education. Since the Save Our Schools March in 2011 in Washington D.C., our members have been working to end and undo “education reform” in Indiana and the U.S.
2011 was a watershed year for privatization in Indiana. Mitch Daniels and his Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tony Bennett, along with help from the Indiana General Assembly, hit hard at public schools and public school teachers.
2011 was the year that Indiana…
  • cut $300 million from public school funding while at the same time they…