Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Central Park East I: A New Principal! Coming! | Deborah Meier on Education

Central Park East I: A New Principal! Coming! | Deborah Meier on Education:

Central Park East I: A New Principal! Coming!

Image result for big education ape Deborah Meier
Dear Friends and colleagues,
I got some encouraging news a couple of days ago that I thought I’d pass on. The Department of Education in New York City has decided to seek a new principal for Central Park East I. As many of you know the school has spent almost two years in a state of crisis as a new principal sought to “”change it.” She believed that progressive education was not suitable for Black, Latino and low-income children. She had other faults that were of a more personal nature. Of course, even with her departure we still keep rebuilding the school. We will keep our fingers crossed and the pressure on to replace her with someone who shares more of our original beliefs and intentions. Rebuilding a school will not be easy and in many ways it requires starting all over again since one cannot replicate but must always invent. For me this is worth celebrating because it represents the power of a community to come together, persevere and eventually be heard.  Of course it should not be so hard to get this kind of change in a public school that belongs to its teachers and families and children. The job ahead of them will not be easy but its friends will hopefully be there to help.Central Park East I: A New Principal! Coming! | Deborah Meier on Education:



Image result for big education ape Deborah Meier
 Related image