Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Turtle Learning: APRIL IS SCHOOL LIBRARY MONTH/NATIONALPOETRY MONTH

Turtle Learning: APRIL IS SCHOOL LIBRARY MONTH/NATIONALPOETRY MONTH:

APRIL IS SCHOOL LIBRARY MONTH/NATIONALPOETRY MONTH



ANDY WEIR AUTHOR OF THE MARTIAN GIVES A SHORT AD FOR SCHOOL LIBRARIES



Poppies in East Los Angeles

 Paul Thomas, blogger par excellence, quotes from John Dewey:
What avail is it to win prescribed amounts of information about geography and history, to win ability to read and write, if in the process the individual loses his own soul: loses his appreciation of things worth while, of the values to which these things are relative; if he loses desire to apply what he has learned and, above all, loses the ability to extract meaning from his future experiences as they occur? (Experience and Education, p. 49)

So how do we promote poetry and libraries so we can save our civilization in the age of Trump and complete disregard for anything meaningful in life?

I have always been intimidated by poetry and never thought I could write any.  I only wrote one that I liked - in 8th grade - about the lemon tree in my backyard.  My teacher loved it.  I think I loved my teacher too. She made me feel a whole person -- as most other teachers didn't. 

In honor of this lovely teacher I thought I'd try my 'hand' at a poem today.  And as I thought of this, I looked down at my own hands and realized I was starting to see the 
Turtle Learning: APRIL IS SCHOOL LIBRARY MONTH/NATIONALPOETRY MONTH: