Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Teacher's Response to Booking.com's Anti-Teacher Commercial by Alana Milich - Badass Teachers Association

Badass Teachers Association: A Teacher's Response to Booking.com's Anti-Teacher Commercial by Alana Milich:

A Teacher's Response to Booking.com's Anti-Teacher Commercial 

by Alana Milich


I know this is minor compared with what's going on in the DOE, but it irritated me enough to write to Booking.com about their commercial.
Here is the text of my email:

After watching your ad in which a kindergarten teacher is letting her class run wild with no supervision while she contemplates her vacation choices, I am moved to do something I've never done before- write a company to complain of the image they are portraying of my profession. As a 15 year veteran teacher, I can assure you that my stress does NOT come from the students in my classroom. My stress comes from endless meetings forcing me to enact tactics that do not help my students learn and achieve; my stress comes from not getting a cost of living raise in 10 years; my stress comes from national figures who know nothing of public education working to destabilize our system in favor of private, religious, and for-profit charter schools that are free to discriminate against differently-abled children with no penalties.
Isn't there enough teacher bashing without you adding to the myth of the inattentive, non-caring, child-hating teacher?
If you want to show a teacher needing a vacation, how about showing one burnt out on caring too much? Giving of her own time and money to her kids while an uncaring administration makes ridiculous demands on her? That would be relatable and not turn off the 3.1 million public school teachers in the US.
Thank you,
Alana Milich
Update - Here is the reply from Bookings.com:
Dear Dr. Alana Milich

Thanks for your feedback.

We’ll be sure to pass it on to those relevant. At [link removed] we value all 


 Badass Teachers Association: A Teacher's Response to Booking.com's Anti-Teacher Commercial by Alana Milich: