Betsy DeVos — A clear and present danger by Ann Policelli Cronin
First published in CT Mirror, educator and advocate Ann Policelli Cronin highlights what she learned from watching three hours of the Senate confirmation hearing for Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education:
Ann Conin writes;
- Betsy DeVos demonstrated a lack of any understanding about student assessment.
- Betsy DeVos said that permitting guns in schools is a decision that should be left up to individual schools.
- Betsy DeVos did not commit to preschool for all children.
- Betsy DeVos said that educating children with special needs and disabilities is up to individual schools and districts, and she did not commit to upholding existing federal mandates regarding the education of children with special needs and children with disabilities.
- Betsy DeVos said that she does not support equal accountability for all schools that receive taxpayer funds. Charter schools, funded with taxes, will not have the same accountability and transparency as traditional public schools.
- Betsy DeVos said that charter schools, funded with public taxes, do not have to adhere to the same policies as traditional public schools in regard to regulations about student bullying and student suspensions.
- Betsy DeVos did not commit to the enforcement of existing federal laws Betsy DeVos — A clear and present danger by Ann Policelli Cronin - Wait What?: