Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 17, 2016

I will stand up, I will speak up for my students: Sign the pledge - Lily's Blackboard

I will stand up, I will speak up for my students: Sign the pledge - Lily's Blackboard:

I will stand up, I will speak up for my students: Sign the pledge

Image result for I will stand up, I will speak up for my students

Our schools should be havens. But right now, many of our students are scared, anxious, and feeling threatened. At NEA, we are hearing from students and educators all around the country who are encountering hostile environments in their schools and communities, with fake deportation notices being handed out and swastikas drawn in bathrooms.
We are being flooded with reports of hateful words, actions, and images directed at students in our schools. Nooses. Racist graffiti. Threats to our LGBTQ students. Headscarves being torn off. Girls being assaulted. Children are hearing that they are not welcome in their schools and even in the country they call home.
My heart is breaking. There is no place for this anywhere, let alone in our schools.
It’s no secret where I stood during this election. But this isn’t about politics. It is about the simple fact that every student deserves a safe, welcoming, affirming learning environment. The three million members of the NEA and our allies are here to tell students: you are safe with me.
Join us, and show you’re standing up for students.
I will stand up and I will speak up for my students, so that they all have a safe and affirming learning environment. I will take action with NEA so that EVERY student feels welcome and safe at school.
Sign the pledge here: I will stand up, I will speak up for my students: Sign the pledge - Lily's Blackboard: