Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 15, 2015

I Saw A Generation of Educators Destroyed By Silence In Tragedy [Howl Again] | The Jose Vilson

I Saw A Generation of Educators Destroyed By Silence In Tragedy [Howl Again] | The Jose Vilson:

I Saw A Generation of Educators Destroyed By Silence In Tragedy [Howl Again]

AllenGinsbergPA100811




Changing our Facebook profile overlays won’t be enough.
I’ve seen a whole generation of educators who have so much direct access to the most massive body of knowledge the world has ever seen and yet are so disconnected from the realities around them as a result. Folks with large followers elide the mere mention of race, religion, and gender in the context of power because, ultimately, it makes them culpable as well. I’m far from perfect, but, tomorrow, I plan on giving my students space to ask and speak, which leaves me open to not knowing the answers.
This means I’m not the expert, and I’ve learned to live with that, too.
As educators, we can’t wait until it’s OK for us to speak up and out about the domestic and international tragedies that plague our humanity. We can fabricate standards if we wish, but the underlying tension can’t be standardized. For those of us in schools, children generally look to those who they’re already learning from. But, from where I stand, hope is not enough. We must continue I Saw A Generation of Educators Destroyed By Silence In Tragedy [Howl Again] | The Jose Vilson: