Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Letter: New York Superintendent DOES NOT CARE about VAM | deutsch29

Letter: New York Superintendent DOES NOT CARE about VAM | deutsch29:

Letter: New York Superintendent DOES NOT CARE about VAM







Michael Hynes is the superintendent of the Patchogue-Medford School District in New York.
He knows that attempting to gauge teacher value via the state’s $2.7 million, nonsensical, secretive value-added modeling (VAM) scheme is foolish.
Below is his August 28, 2015, letter to a teacher in the Patchogue-Medford district.
Here is what Hynes writes:
August 28, 2015
Dear Ms. —,
The purpose of this letter is to let you know that I DO NOT CARE what your state growth score is.  Let me be clear… I DO NOT CARE. It does not define you. Please know that I understand that nobody likes to be reduced to a number.
The fact is, you are much more than a number, not only to me, but most important to the children and parents you serve. Keep your head up and your eye on what is most important… your students and your teaching craft. The Patchogue-Medford School district fully supports you as an educator, regardless of what this meaningless, invalid and inhumane score states. Let me know what you need and it is my sincere hope Letter: New York Superintendent DOES NOT CARE about VAM | deutsch29: