Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Today Is My Birthday | Diane Ravitch's blog

Today Is My Birthday | Diane Ravitch's blog:

Today Is My Birthday 








I was born July 1, 1938, at 12:01 am at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Houston, Texas. I was my parents’ third child. We lived in a tiny house on Dunlop Street. Five more children followed over the next 10 years. We would eventually be five boys and three girls.
I went to public schools from K-12. Then, encouraged by my rabbi and his wife, I applied to Wellesley and was accepted. Going east to college changed my life.
Birthdays make you think back on your life as you get older. When you are young, birthdays make you either want to party or think about the future.
I’ll save the look back for my memoirs, if I ever find the time.
I’m still looking forward. The struggle to save public education against privatization and to protect kids from test-mania will grow stronger. The opt out movement will spread across the nation. Researchers will continue to demonstrate the failed policies of high-stakes testing and privatization.
You can help. If you want to make a gift for my birthday, join the Network for Public Education. Give as generously as you can. The Network helps grassroots activists across the nation and connects them to allies.
Here is the contact information: The Network for Public Education. Open the link to learn how to contribute online and/or become a member. This organization is fighting for public schools, for students, parents, teachers, and all other citizens who care about the future of our democracy.
If you want to send a check, here is the address:
Network for Public Education
P.O. Box 44200
Tucson, AZ
85733