Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Scrap the MAP test: My Kindergartner Joins the Opt Out Movement! | I AM AN EDUCATOR

Scrap the MAP test: My Kindergartner Joins the Opt Out Movement! | I AM AN EDUCATOR:

Scrap the MAP test: My Kindergartner Joins the Opt Out Movement!



Jesse_MTAS_event
Last week the Seattle School District told my kindergarten son to take the Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) test.
Given my intense relationship with this specific standardized test–an exam that has forever altered the course of my life–this was a particularly unsettling moment for me. As an authentic assessment activist, I had helped organize a boycott of this test at Seattle’s Garfield High School, I edited the book More Than a Score to tell the story of this movement against the MAP and the subsequent uprising against high-stakes testing, and I speak regularly around the country to share the lessons of the movement to “Scrap the MAP.”
I had long been committed to a fight for public education, but now it just got personal. Now they were trying confine my own boundlessly vibrant son into a test score bubble.
I had felt a great sense of accomplishment in our 2013 MAP test boycott, which resulted in adecisive victory when the superintendent ended the school year by announcing an end to the MAP test requirement for the high schools.  Now, however, the announcement that it was MAP test week for my son felt a cruel irony. It was hard to have to face the fact that, despite how powerful our movement had become, we hadn’t defeated the test altogether and elementary school students were still being subjected to it.
The idea that our school system implements standardized testing in the early grades to make students “career and college ready” (in the language of the Common Core standards) is an utter absurdity–especially when you consider that one of the most popular career choices for a 5-year-old is being Spider Man.  And yet high-stakes are attached to the the MAP test–already in kindergarten!–using it as an arbitrator of who will be placed on the advanced track.  In schools around the nation, there is an astonishing proliferation of the use of standardized testing in the early grades, which is having a frightening impact our our children. Children are increasingly experiencing severe stress from these tests, to the point where administrators now have a Scrap the MAP test: My Kindergartener Joins the Opt Out Movement! | I AM AN EDUCATOR: