Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 8, 2014

9-8-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:






Heganoo Looks Like A Very Nice & Easy Online Map-Making Site
Heganoo looks like a very nice and easy online map-making site. After a quick registration (though I never received a confirmation email, but was still able to use the site without it) you can identify any location or locations on a map and make it a point-of-interest where you can add text, links and, most importantly as far as I’m concerned, an image by just pasting its url address. That abilit


My Latest British Council Post Shares A Fun Introductory Activity I Do Every Year
Building Relationships is the title of my latest British Council post where I share a fun introductory activity I do with students at the beginning of each school year. It includes a link to a downloadable student hand-out, along with this artistically challenged teacher model I use: By the way, you can see all my previous British Council posts here.
NEA Today Unexpectedly Runs Article Featuring Classroom Practice Of…Me?
More Teachers Adopting Restorative Discipline Practices is the title of an NEA Today story that unexpectedly features my classroom practice. I had a short email interaction with the writer over the summer, but hadn’t thought much would come of it. You might find it interesting. I’m adding it to The Best Posts On Classroom Management.


Here’s The Cover Of My Upcoming Third Book On Student Motivation (Along With Free Resources)
This is the cover of my upcoming third book on helping students develop intrinsic motivation (my own little trilogy ). It will be published by Routledge in early 2015. You can get free resources from all my six books here, including downloading all student hand-outs from my previous two student motivation books.


Study: “Asking for Advice Makes You Seem More Competent, Not Less”
New York Magazine (and a bunch of other news outlets) recently reported on new research which found, as the headline of the magazine article and this post says, that “Asking for Advice Makes You Seem More Competent, Not Less.” Here’s an excerpt: I’ve certainly found this to be true, and often ask parents and students for their teaching advice, and definitely never hesitate asking the same of my c
Four Valuable Posts On Classroom Instruction
© 2012 Port of San Diego, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio Here are several recent and valuable resources on classroom instruction: No More Language Arts and Crafts is a must-read post by the one-and-only Donalyn Miller, The Book Whisperer. Dispelling the Myths: The Truth about Student Engagement is from the Alabama Best Practices Center. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles On Student Engagem
9-7-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Quote Of The Day: “The Book That Got Teaching Right”Samuel G. Freedman has written a great column in The New Yorker about the book Up the Down Staircase whose author, Bel Kaufman, died this past summer. His column is headlined The Book That Got Teaching Right. Here’s an excerpt: I certainly had heard of the book and movie b