Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

9-23-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:






“How Diversity Makes Us Smarter”
When we do group work in my classes, I often select who goes in which group to make sure there’s a good ethnic, gender and ability balance. At other times, though, I will let students choose their own groups. I always preface that self-selection process, though, at the beginning of the year with a discussion of research that shows the benefits of diversity in groups. I then ask that they keep that



The Best Resources For Banned Books Week
© 2008 Mike Licht, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio   It’s Banned Books Week. This week: is an annual awareness campaign that celebrates the freedom to read, draws attention to banned and challenged books, and highlights persecuted individuals. The United States campaign “stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of those unorthodox or unpopular viewpoints to all who wish to read them” and th
You Can Now Pre-Order My Upcoming Book On Student Engagement
My upcoming book, Building A Community Of Self-Motivated Learners: Strategies To Help Students Thrive In School and Beyond, is now available for pre-order at Routledge and on Amazon. I will be published in early March, 2015. It’s the third volume in my student motivation “trilogy.” You can read excerpts from the previous two volumes, Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers To Clas

It’s A Bit Early, But Here Are A Zillion Halloween Resources
© 2005 lobo235, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio It’s obviously early, but I’ve begun to see Halloween posts on the web and thought I’d remind readers of my massive list, The Best Websites For Learning About Halloween. It’s one of my most popular “Best” lists. Let me know if you have suggestions for resources I should add to it.



9-22-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Research Studies Of The WeekI often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing