Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A BATTY 36 HOURS | DCGEducator: Doing The Right Thing

A BATTY 36 HOURS | DCGEducator: Doing The Right Thing:

A BATTY 36 HOURS

photo 1 
Sunday, July 28th- Monday July 29th 2014
 Almost 5 hours of driving down I-95 and its accompanying roads, service stations, and DC traffic is enough to wear out even the most high flying BAT, but inspired by the potential of meet and greet, dinner, and a great rally the next day, I showered, changed and ventured down to the Bat Social in the Holiday Inn Capitol.
I was surprised to see fewer people than I expected, in a room smaller than I expected, but with energy that was over the top. Adults and children were all smiles and actively listening to music provided by teachers and playing games at banquet tables as well. Snacks and refreshments were served. T-shirts were sold. A good time was had by all. They whooped and hollered as they danced to the Commodores’ “She’s a Brick Hoooouuuuse”.
It was a reminder that BATS is more than a viral pro public education reform group. It is, at the same time, a support group and what I saw and heard during that social was just that. People who felt estranged in their home schools partied as if it was a family reunion, which in fact it was. We are a family of teaches tired of what we have to put up with from people who think they can do our jobs better.
There I watched the “oligarchy response team” and bat costumed women dance their troubles away. It was mostly women. I counted fewer than a dozen men (three were the musicians and one a husband videographer) among over a hundred people. But this is not unexpected. Teaching is still a predominantly female occupation. That helps explain why it is hammered so.
I saw a few people I recognized (shout out to Anthony Cody, Jesse Turner, Danisha Jones, Morna McDermott (without her famous straw cowgirl hat,) from previous DC demonstrations and conferences (from Save Our Schools and United Opt out), but at this Social were mostly BATs from 38 states and family members who came because they were drawn to the occasion. I knew some of them as well: notably organizers Marla Kilfoyle, Priscilla Sanstead, and the omnipresent Mark Naison.
 I did meet some terrific older kids from the Newark Student Union and discussed A BATTY 36 HOURS | DCGEducator: Doing The Right Thing: