Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 31, 2014

7-31-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:






Two Videos Showing People “In The Flow”
Here are two videos that I think show people exhibiting “flow.” I’m adding them to The Best Resources For Learning About “Flow.” Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Three Good Slides On “Flow”
I’ve been doing some research and writing on the concept of “flow” (and continue to interested in hearing suggestions of movie/TV scenes where the characters are exhibiting it). In re-looking at Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s TED Talk (which I’ve embedded at the bottom of this post), three of his slides stood out to me, so I took screenshots to share here and at The Best Resources For Learning About “F

Nice Interactive: “Good Country Index”
The Good Country Index is an interactive map that ranks each country in a variety of areas, including culture, science, prosperity, etc. The rankings are based on data from the United Nations, and you can find more of an explanation here. Thanks to Google Maps Mania for the tip.

Useful Infographic On Immigration Reform
Though I wish it didn’t use the term “illegal immigrant,” I’m still adding this infographic to The Best Resources About The New Push For Immigration Reform: Courtesy of: Infographic World
More Resources On The Connection Between Exercising & Learning
© 2011 Brad Barth, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio Here are new additions to The Best Resources On How Exercise Helps Learning: Here’s How Kids Can Get Better Grades is from TIME. Can Exercise Close the Achievement Gap? is from Pacific Standard. Study shows elementary and middle schools can get students moving, not just thinking is from Eureka Alert. The Role of Exercise in Bolstering Memory is from Ps
July’s (2014) Best Tweets — Part Five
Every month I make a few short lists highlighting my choices of the best resources I through (and learned from) Twitter, but didn’t necessarily include them in posts here on my blog. I’ve already shared in earlier posts several new resources I found on Twitter — and where I gave credit to those from whom I learned about them. Those are not included again in post. If you don’t use Twitter, you can
This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Education Policy
© 2009 Travis, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio Here are some recent good posts and articles on educational policy issues: “Stupid, absurd, non-defensible”: New NEA president Lily Eskelsen García on the problem with Arne Duncan, standardized tests and the war on teachers is from Salon. The Problem Isn’t Teacher Recruiting; It’s Retention is from The Journal. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Article
“Unite For Literacy” Is An Excellent Site For Beginning Readers
Thanks to a tweet from Barbara Sakamoto, I learned about site called Unite For Literacy. It has over one-hundred simple books in English that the reader can choose to have narrated in English or their choice of many other languages. I’m adding it to The Best Websites To Help Beginning Readers.


7-30-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: July’s Best Posts From This BlogI regularly highlight my picks for the most useful posts for each month — not including “The Best…” lists. I also use some of them in a more extensive monthly newsletter I send-out. You can see older Best Posts of the Month at Websites Of The Month (more recent lists can be found here). Here