Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

NYC Educator: Arwen Questions the UFT-Unity Loyalty Oath

NYC Educator: Arwen Questions the UFT-Unity Loyalty Oath:



Arwen Questions the UFT-Unity Loyalty Oath

-->
By guest blogger Arwen E.
I urge cooperation between my sisters and brothers of UNITY and MORE. 
I plead for the sake of humanity that tomorrow at the D.A. meeting in Manhattan one Union brother or sister stand up and ask for a justification of the LOYALTY OATH.   More adamantly, I plead that this brave soul not be silenced. And, I ask that reason, not tempers control the debate. 
I have read through our UFT 50 Years anniversary book and I have found deep inspiration.  Yet, nowhere in its pages do I find any justification for a LOYALTY OATH.  To the contrary, I find only disdain for loyalty oaths.  One might argue if everyone votes as one, the voice is stronger.  I argue the opposite.  And, I will tell you why.
The LOYALTY OATH stifles both sides of the political aisle.  It silences all chapter leaders who cannot for reasons of conscience sign the oath.  Despite their election, in some cases repeated election, by their constituencies, they are blocked from exercising their duly-elected voice at NYSUT and AFT conventions.  They are blocked from lucrative positions in union offices.  The doors of advancement have shut before their eyes.  It is shameful. 
The LOYALTY OATH stifles UNITY members as well.   They are not allowed to freely express their ideas in public, lest they conflict with that of the leadership.  If they freely express their views at the DA and they run counter to leadership, they risk raising the eyebrows or ire of leadership.  They may risk losing potentially very valuable jobs in union offices.  They may risk seeing the doors to advancement shut before them as well.  They may risk losing the privilege to attend assemblies and conventions across the country.  Some run scared.  They supposedly have freedom of speech, but they all know their words may cost them.    You know this, too.
I have heard a few defend the OATH.  They state that they agree with all leadership positions and their membership is aligned with them; so, they have no