Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 10, 2014

Real Data from Real Teachers | Gatsby In L.A.

Real Data from Real Teachers | Gatsby In L.A.:



Real Data from Real Teachers






 Want a quick snapshot of what good teachers are really doing in the classroom?  So far this year, I’ve observed English teachers across the socioeconomic spectrum in L.A.  I’ve observed classrooms in district schools, charter schools, magnets, pilots, private schools and continuation school.  I’m no scientist, but here are my statistics so far:

Percentage of teachers who are adjusting curriculum for Common Core: 25%
Percentage of teachers who have said Common Core is interesting or will be an improvement: 10%
Number of teachers who have said that test score growth measures their effectiveness: 0
Number of teachers who have told me they think teacher evaluations will really help them improve their teaching: 0
Number of teachers who believe that iPads will be useful in 11th grade English classrooms: 0
Number of teachers who have told me that