Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Take It Till U Make It | EduShyster

Take It Till U Make It | EduShyster:



Take It Till U Make It



 At a growing number of urban schools, it’s all testing, all the time

Remember how just the other day you were despairing that public education has devolved into a sad synonym for testing of the standardized variety? Well I’ve got great news, reader—it turns out that you were wrong! According to a new study by an organization called Teach Plus (that I’m guessing you’re not a member of), American students don’t spend nearly as much time on testing as you do complaining about the amount of time they spend on testing.
Teach Minus 
I couldn’t wait to share the good news with my disgruntled teacher friend whose Massachusetts school is being turned around as I type. (No, not that school. No not that one either. THIS school). Sadly I cannot print her remarks here as they were laden with expletives and this is a family publication… According to Teach Plus, students in Boston spend an average of 17.2 hours a year being tested on math and English skills. In other