Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Twitter Conversation . . . Connecting with a School Community | Connected Principals

A Twitter Conversation . . . Connecting with a School Community | Connected Principals:







A Twitter Conversation . . . Connecting with a School Community

Superintendent John Marschhausen will be available to address student and parent questions regarding innovation in Hilliard City Schools on Monday, February 10. To join the first Twitter Connection, simply login to Twitter and send comments or questions to the discussion using #AskHCS. To make the experience enjoyable for everyone, here are a few suggestions: Keep it appropriate – be respectful,




More on Collaboration: Essential Ingredients
This is a cross post from my personal blog. I experienced an overwhelming response to my posts (here and here and here) about collaboration in schools. From my thinking and from the comments of others, I have come up with the following list of essential ingredients for collaboration in schools. When I say this, I am referring to collaboration of all learners (staff and students). I tried to write

FEB 06

5 Ways To Cultivate A Culture Of Acceptance
The other day, I sat in a conversation with a student and a DHS worker who had come to take her into custody. She was no longer able to stay at her host home and would be moving back to a shelter till a new home could be found. In the meantime, she would go to a different school. As she sat in tears listening to the news, she said to the DHS worker, “No offense, lady, but DHS has done nothing for
Authentic Communications Using Social Media
As many of you know, I have an active Twitter feed @drjcm and the district maintains an active Twitter feed @HilliardSchools and a Hilliard City Schools Facebook page. Many of you, especially students, posed some interesting comments and questions on these social media channels this week. While I can’t possibly answer every Tweet or post, here are a couple answers to commonly asked questions. Why

FEB 04

Not Everyone Is Able to Tweet and Post Who They Really Are
Originally posted at The Wejr Board blog There is often much discussion around the separation of our professional and personal lives on social media.  Some districts strongly encourage this separation while others encourage the blending of both.  I have been a supporter of the latter as I believe that if we share who we are online we develop better relationships with others.  In December, I tweete

FEB 01

Are Educators Passionate About Their Profession?
Educators, do you have to go to work? Or do you get to come to school? There’s a BIG difference between the two… I enrolled my 5 year old son into a hip hop dance class. The sessions are held in a sound proof studio with a window that allows parents to observe. It’s taught by an 18 year old kid (let’s call him Junior), with a high top fade (YES! They’re back!), wearing sagging skinny track pants