Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 2, 2014

The handwritten note…going old school in 2014! | Connected Principals

The handwritten note…going old school in 2014! | Connected Principals:

The handwritten note…going old school in 2014!

Screenshot 2014-01-02 17.15.15In the fast paced day to day-ness of our world, it is easy to take the easy route of telling some one that they did a great job, or that you appreciate what they’ve done for your campus.
The words are always welcome.  However, there is nothing as powerful as tangible words on the page.  I’ve appreciated and saved emails, but inevitably they are deleted. (darn space constraints!) Compare that with handwritten notes.  I have kept almost all that I’ve received…from as far back as college! There is just something about the time and effort that it takes to write a note…just seems more thoughtful than a tweet or an email. It’s personal. It’s private, intended to be seem by you, the writer, and them, the receiver.
I know it may seem odd for someone with degree in technology who blogs on its impact in her life on  to encourage the writing of actual ink-on-paper notes…but truly, it makes a difference. It’s free. It’s valuable. It’s something I commit to doing more of in 2014!
Luckily, the genius of Melina Miller (@mmiler7571) even helped me figure how I can make it happen. When I was a teacher, I made a check list of all my students names and tracked the positive parent contact I made each semester. I mailed/sent home a minimum of 3 happy notes per child, per semester. The relationships that were built on that alone