Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 16, 2014

1-16-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





The Best Videos Documenting The History Of The English Language
There are quite a number of decent videos documenting the history of the English language, and I’m trying to figure out how to use them in my IB Theory of Knowledge class. Ideas are welcome. Here are the videos I know about: The Story Of English is a nine-part television series, and I’ve embedded the entire playlist below: How did English evolve? is from TED-Ed. I’ve embedded the video below, a
Nice Interactive: “Median Income Across the US”
Median Income Across the US is a nice interactive map from WNYC that shows the income levels of all the census tracts in the United States. I’m adding it to The Best Tools For Analyzing Census Data. Thanks to Google Maps Mania for the tip.
January’s Best Tweets – Part Three
Every month I make a few short lists highlighting my choices of the best resources I through (and learned from) Twitter, but didn’t necessarily include them in posts here on my blog. I’ve already shared in earlier posts several new resources I found on Twitter — and where I gave credit to those from whom I learned about them. Those are not included again in this post. If you don’t use Twitter, yo


Video: “Magic Vine Collection”
Zach King’s ‘Magic’ Vine Compilation is a pretty entertaining collection of Vine videos that would be good for English Language Learners to watch and describe what they see:
You Can Read About An Excellent ELL Speaking Activity At My New British Council Blog
I’ve just begun publishing a monthly post at the Teaching English site of the British Council, which is the preeminent international organization promoting English-language teaching. My first post there is about an excellent speaking/listening activity for English Language Learners — check out Using a “Three-Two_one” Speaking Activity.

More Good Martin Luther King, Jr. Resources
Even though we’ll be officially recognizing Martin Luther King’s birthday on Monday, his real birthday is today. Here are two excellent resources I’m adding to The Best Websites For Learning About Martin Luther King: MLK Was a Revolutionary, Not Just a Dreamer is from The Root. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.- Assassination and Legacy is from a radio program originating from the Canadian Broadcasting
Two Must-Visit Resources: 40 More Maps AND 40 Charts “That Explain The World”
Last year I posted about an incredible Washington Post resource: 40 maps that explain the world is a great collection from the Washington Post that may be the best geography site of the year. It links to another site called 40 Maps They Didn’t Teach You In School that has a number of other good maps. However, that second site also includes a few maps with topics and language that wouldn’t be appr
From The Archives: “Positive, Not Punitive, Classroom Management Tips”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’m highlighting an excerpt from one of my books that appeared at Edutopia awhile back. It’s titled Positive, Not Punitive, Classroom Management Tips. Here’s an excerpt:
“Blaming Poverty on Single Parents Is Win-Win for Republicans, Evidence Be Damned”
Blaming Poverty on Single Parents Is Win-Win for Republicans, Evidence Be Damned is an extensive Atlantic article. It’s a must-read piece. Here’s an excerpt: And is where everyone should be screaming from the rooftops: “Correlation isn’t causation!” If you don’t have access to a roof, stand on your desk like you’re in Dead Poet’s Society and bellow, “Just because poverty is more common among the u

1-15-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: “Parents Can Teach Educators ‘Lessons About Learning and Life’”Parents Can Teach Educators ‘Lessons About Learning and Life’ is part three in my Ed Week series on parent engagement. Today’s post features contributions from Catherine Compton-Lilly, Dr. Sherrel Bergmann, Dr. Judith Brough and Maurice J. Elias.by Larry Ferlazz