Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

12-31-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:



Even More Resources On New Year’s Resolutions
Here are two new additions to The Best Ways To Help Make Your New Year’s Resolutions Succeed: 9 Steps To New Year’s Resolutions That Last Longer Than New Year’s Day is from Barking Up The Wrong Tree. Here’s a New Year’s Resolution lesson plan for English Language Learners from The British Council


My “Nine educated education predictions for 2014!” Published At Wash. Post — Here Are Some Additions
Valerie Strauss at The Washington Post has published my Nine educated education predictions for 2014! over at her blog. I wrote it just a few days ago and, much to my surprise, quite a few things have taken place since that time that lead me to believe I might be right on a few of them: Related to my prediction about New York schools, incoming Mayor Bill de Blasio seems to be moving forward on hi

More Good Resources On Asking Questions
Here are new additions to The Best Posts & Articles About Asking Good Questions: I really like This Post Will Make You A More Effective Communicator In 90 Seconds by Shane Snow. Asking Better Questions: 6 Ways to Improve Classroom Discussions is from ASCD. For Students, Why the Question is More Important Than the Answer is from MindShift.
From The Archives – “Bribing students: Another ‘magical solution’ that doesn’t work”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’m highlighting a piece I wrote for The Washington Post a couple of years ago titled Bribing students: Another ‘magical solution’ that doesn’t work. Here’s an excerpt:

YESTERDAY

This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Good Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here is a collection of recent and useful posts and articles one educational policy issues: Barnett Berry: “Teachers Can Lead Without Leaving the Classroom” is from EdSurge, and is an important post. Board of Education President Michael Kirst tries to shepherd complex school-funding overhaul to reality is from The Sacramento Bee. Ed Dept. pours $43 million into reform program with questionable re
This Week In Web 2.0
In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth , I’ve recently begin a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” (you might also be interested in The Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education In 2013): 10 video calling apps to connect you with family and friends this Christmas is from The Next Web. I’m adding it to A Potpourri Of The Best & Most Useful Video Sit
Quote Of The Day: “the fertile soil in which the seeds must grow”
Diana Laufenberg sent out a tweet of this great quote from the scientist Rachel Carson of Silent Spring fame. She found it in a Brain Picking post about an earlier book by Carson. I was particularly struck by it echoes a comment by Sir Ken Robinson in his discussion of the importance of helping students develop intrinsic motivation. First, I’ll share the Carson quote, followed by Robinson’s comme
12-30-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: From The Archives: “Being ‘Transactional’ Versus Being ‘Transformational’ in Schools”I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’m highlighting a piece I wrote for The Hu