Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 3, 2013

11-3-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:





Thirty-five More LDOE Files: A Number of 2012 Test Score Reports
Once again, I have spent time on the LDOE website, seeking information that was once publicly available in pre-Serling Louisiana. My first excursion yielded 95 files, c. 2011-13; my second 88 files, c. 2007. Here are today’s finds, 35 files, c. 2012. Lots of test results in this set:   BESE Meeting Minutes April 18, 2012 Comparison Between […]

My Local Teachers Union and Superintendent Stand Against Common Core and PARCC
On Friday, November1, 2013, I had the following letter in my school mailbox from St. Tammany Federation of Teachers President Elsie Burkhalter. In it, both Burkhalter and St. Tammany Schools Superintendent Trey Folse publicly support the St. Tammany School Board resolution to opt out of both the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and the associated PARCC (Partnership for […]

Raising Questions: Ideas for Empowering Educators to Advocate for Students
Am I teaching content to students, or am I teaching students how to access and learn content?     This is the fundamental question that guides my teaching practice on a daily basis.     If I decide that I am teaching content to students, it means that the material I am teaching is more […]

Join us At the Chalk Face at 6PM EST while we chat with the NJ teacher subjected to yet another Christie tirade
Listen here, at 6PM EST. I doubt any reasonable person would disagree with this educator from NJ on her perspective.    

Guest column: S.C. schools have poverty problem | The Greenville News | greenvilleonline.com
Guest column: S.C. schools have poverty problem | The Greenville News | greenvilleonline.com.
Another Small Library: Eighty-eight More LDOE Documents
Yesterday, I posted 95 documents, the result of my searching files not obviously available on the Louisiana Department of Education (LDOE) website. Today, I returned to the site to locate documents from 2007, the time that Paul Pastorek became state superintendent and Paul Vallas, Recovery School District (RSD) superintendent. It is a terrible experience to have […]

All Week 11-2-13 @ THE CHALK FACE
@ THE CHALK FACE knows SCHOOLS MATTER: All Week @ THE CHALK FACE Ninety-five Louisiana Department of Education (LDOE) DocumentsThere is more to a website than the information accessed by clicking its active links. This I learned years ago in my dealings with statistics software that utilizes both windows and code. Armed with such knowledge, yesterday I spent six hours combing the Louisiana Departm